Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Whereever you go....there you are!


Here I am, halfway around the world, and what am I doing? Making bracelets with kids! I have been spending the last two weeks in Xiamen on the Southern coast of China, doing some final training for Half the Sky. We held a wonderful afternoon of exciting activities for 28 kids. I had fun teaching my Chinese colleague and then the kids how to play four square -- although I am still somewhat traumatized by my memories of being banned from playing in the "cool kids" four square games during my own playground days.
This little girl made me a bright and beautiful bracelet. The day before when I was talking to her one on one, she asked me an array of questions and then said to me seriously, "Your eyes are terribly scary."
I miss my family a lot and am eager to get back to Shanghai. But, we have done a lot of training here teaching new staff about child development, attachment, learning, behavior, and more. It is wonderful to be able to share what I have learned through ALL those years of study -- especially with people who are eager to know more about how they can support the kids.
Off to Pizza Hut with my colleague Jeronia. The rest of the bunch has gone to see the seashore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just checked my blog (first time in over a year). I didn't know you were still blogging. I enjoyed the article.
Love
Kaye