Saturday, September 13, 2008

Director of Youth Services

I am so excited to let you know that I have been offered, and accepted, the position of Director of Youth Services, for Half the Sky Foundation.  This was the longest and most intensive interview process ever, but well worth it I think.  I will be working with the organization to help address the needs of older Chinese children who are living in institions and foster care.  I feel sooo fortunate to be able to have this opportunity and am now very glad I studied as hard as I did when I was in China.  This job will include travel throughout all of China's provinces to set up model centers that will provide standards of high quality care for orphaned children.  As many of you know, this organization has been one of my favorites well before I knew we were moving to China, so being able to work with them is wonderful.  The folks in the photo are the mentors, field supervisors, and associate directors with whom I will be working. 

Jeff is off to Brazil for 8 days -- so we are flying solo again -- which is not nearly as much fun.  But, we have the help and school is going well for the kids, so it should be OK.

I will write more later, but wanted to share this news, which I've been waiting to share forever it seems!


7 comments:

Beanie said...

So excited to see a new post, 1 hour ago or 12 hours from now... Hope your weekend is great... Congrats on the job, you look great, nice hair cut! China must agree with you. Hope the kids are all great and learning lots like the little sponges they are. Not much new here. Hope Yuyu is learning to ge potty trained. Wow, I'm so impressed with all you do! LOVE YOU ALL

Beanie said...

If you click on this picture it makes it large and you can see Lori's name in on the chalkboard. Kinda cute!

Daisy said...

Dr.Lofy! wow! Congratulations! What an impressive job! Are you the only nonAsian employee? Are you wearing the pants Dad shrunk at PL? We will be anxious to hear all about the job. Does this effect our trip to China or will you have some time off if we come? Eileen has already broken the news to Mark that she is going to come with us.

Laura Lofy said...

I have negotiated some unpaid time off in addition to paid leave, but there will be some "can't miss" activities. I will request the calendar soon and make sure the dates we have should work. I think your trip should be sort of less "package" like, and more youth hostile like -- i.e. flexible and fluid. We have a lot of resources (e.g. Ayi, Driver) to help so that if I am not available for a day or two, you can still enjoy China.

The leadership of the organization is American and as you get into the ranks, the staff is Chinese. I'm right in the middle, which is a good place to be for me! I will supervise Chinese people, most of whom speak some English, and they will in turn help me translate and supervise the on-site staff. The more Chinese I can learn the better.

Daisy said...

The Girl Scout and Boy Scout in us will come thru and we can hang loose. We will have to plan the boat trip around Eileen as she probably won't stay as long as Dad and I. If you go some place in China on your job maybe we could tag along and just enjoy the new area. We have learn to be flexible having raised 4 kids. I used to an oak and now I'm a willow.

Laura Lofy said...

Sounds great. In country flights are quite cheap!

Daisy said...

I changed your e-mail and I guess I am smarter than I think I am. But after loosing my e-mail ( until friend Rita got it back for me ) I am afraid to do things on my own.