Friday, July 18, 2008

Settling In

It's Saturday morning in Shanghai and today is our first weekend day here as a family.  Eileen left on Thursday and we were VERY sad to see her go, but hoping that she will be able to come back and visit in Spring.  We did as much as we could while she was here and I think she got a taste of Shanghai -- we visited Yu Gardens, QiBao (a beautiful little area with canals) and the Bund and Nanjing Dong Lu -- the main shopping district.  We bought two real jade pieces (a necklace for Eileen and a bracelet for Lisa) and some fake Jade (Jadite?) as well.  


We are very happy with the house.  It is beautiful and already feels like home.  It has really high ceilings which make it feel bigger and more spacious, and I think I will always like that now -- feels roomier.  We lucked out with our driver and our "ayi" (aunti) -- they are wonderful, take charge people and very very helpful.  Our driver's name is Zhu (pronounced "Jew") and he reminds me a lot of Shao Hui.  He is a single man of 30, but I already have a match made for him (our realtor -- Janet Mei!).  Our Ayi is Zhang.  She is married and has a 10 year old daughter -- very kind and smart.  She works nonstop which stresses me out, but is also great with the kids.  I think the kids will go to her for spoiling, because Chinese pamper their kids more than we do.  


Today, we are going downtown.  Jeff has a doctor's appointment.  The cats arrived in good health yesterday and we laugh that same was born in Atlanta, adopted in North Carolina, has lived in Washington, DC and Minneapolis, and now Shanghai.  He is on his 20th life at least.  Not bad for a pound kitty.  If I am lucky, today we will be getting a puppy.  Dogs as pets have become very popular here.  I was just casually talking with Mr. Zhu and asked him if he had any pets, and told him that I would eventually like to get a dog.  Well, he was on the phone immediately and one of his best friends is a dog lover and takes them in and then sells them.  He has a 5 month old Schnauzer that Eileen and I got to meet -- and now Jeff and I may go see him today.  Purebred dogs are not cheap and a little research shows you have to be very careful about "puppy mill" type situations -- so we shall see.


The kids have had their ups and downs.  They love the swimming pool and biking around the neighborhood, but tend to act quite horrific when we go out in public -- too overwhelming.  Jin has been a grump the last two days.  I bought them one inch turtles (Qi and Sun) and hermit crabs (Jin) in QiBao, and they are enjoying those.  I didn't really expect them to last through the night, but they've been alive for 4 days now.  Qi's turtle is Quincy, Sun's is Baby BaoBei (which means Baby Baby), and Jin's crabs are DaShan (Big Mountain) and QiBao -- the town where we bought them.  


The name DaShan is a reference to a Canadian guy who lives over here who people tell Jeff he looks like -- you can google him.  Jeff thinks he is better looking! :-)


Well, since this is my first real post, I'm going to call it quits until I'm sure it actually works.  I'm working on photos, but the blog and email works better on my apple computer and I don't have any pictures on my compatible Sony camera yet -- will post some soon -- when I figure out how to do it.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The blog looks great! Thank you! It will be a great way to keep up with you. We have been eager for news. Each night we say, 'the cousins are getting up right now' ... then in the morning we say, 'the cousins are going to bed now.' What are you doing for meals and groceries?? If you adopt the schnauzer say ni hao from Mitzi. How much time does Zhang spend with you each day? Is her daughter there with you? Thank you for starting the blog -- we'll be checking back often.

Unknown said...

Yes, this blog will be lots of fun! I take it that "Auntie Daifu" is Lisa with reference made to Mitzi. What does Daifu mean? A Schnauzer will be a nice size dog for the family! We miss Bobbi! You will have to find me a "Chinese" name too. I don't know one word of Chinese! Maybe you can give us a word of the day on your blogs. Take Care! It's great to be able to stay in touch with you. Send pictures soon! Love, Auntie _______(Kaye)

Unknown said...

I'm having fun with the blog!!! I take it "ni hao" translates to "hello"? My first chinese word!